Thursday, November 13, 2014

Carpe Diem "Little Creatures" #12, Snails, a haiga


 
Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Last week I hadn't enough time to write an episode of our Carpe Diem "Little Creatures", but this week I just can't miss another episode. The last weeks I have thought a lot about Carpe Diem Haiku Kai and about our future ... I think Carpe Diem Haiku Kai has proven that it has a place on the Internet for all those haiku-poets and lovers of haiku out there in the world.
As you all know I have opened up to you all with my concerns about all the extra features, which I love to make by the way, and I have given all your ideas a thought. It finally brought me the following idea to change Carpe Diem Haiku Kai.

I have decided to use the Carpe Diem special features (e.g. Distillation or Imagination) not as an extra post, but as a part of the regular prompts of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. So this episode of "Little Creatures" will be a "Carpe Diem Imagination" and a "Carpe Diem Haiga Festival".

I love to share a haiga which I have made recently of a haiku which I wrote in 2013:

"granddad come look!"
my grandson beckons me closer
"a homeless snail"

© Chèvrefeuille

There are several haiku written about snails, in our Mount Fuji episode, several days ago, we had for example a haiku by Issa:

little snail
inch by inch, climb
Mount Fuji!


© Kobayashi Issa

Or what do you think of this haiku by myself, in that beloved cascading way. This cascading haiku I wrote in June 2014:

watching a snail
in the light of the full moon
just a silver trail


just a silver trail
points me to the right place
mountain monastery
mountain monastery
finally becoming one
I bow to my master


I bow to my master
Matsuo Basho told me the way
to watch a snail


© Chèvrefeuille


Credits: Snail

Well ... I think it's clear what the goal is of this new episode of "Little Creatures", write/compose an all new haiku about snails and make it into a haiga ... or write a cascading haiku on snails ...
This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until November 20th at noon (CET). Have fun!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Kristjaan,
    you may have noticed tht i am a learner, both with haiku and twitter. Please forgive any errors.
    Sometimes your short lines have 5 syllables and other times only 4. Is there a reason or is it optional?
    I like your well thought out posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no particular reason for the non-classical way of haiku. In the Western world haiku is not restricted to the 5-7-5 rule ... in Japan they don't talk about syllables but about 'onji' or sound-units. The 5-7-5 rule is meant for sound-units ... Feel free to follow your heart as you write/compose your haiku.

      Delete
  2. I think your cascading haiku about the snail is my favourite thing I've read of yours, Chèvrefeuille - it has a wonderful circular completeness about it, from the little creature to the haiku mindset and back to the snail, finally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful cascading haiku. I am pleased you are combining challenges and special features. Was becoming concerned about your becoming 'burned out' with all the time you put in on the challenges. Pace yourself, master of the haiku!

    ReplyDelete