Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Carpe Diem #603, Mount Fuji


!! I publish this episode earlier than I normally do, but I am in the nightshift !!

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

I hope you all did like the GW-post about Richard Wright (1908-1960) and that it inspired you to write all new haiku. Today our prompt will be Mount Fuji the Holy Mountain of Japan. There are a lot of haiku written about Mt. Fuji, so I have made a nice overview of these haiku. I hope you all will like the read.

katatsuburi soro-soro nobore fuji no yama


little snail
inch by inch, climb
Mount Fuji!
© Issa

mugi kari fuji mi-dokoro no enoki kana

a Mt. Fuji viewing spot
for barley harvesters -
nettle tree


© Issa


Credits: Mount Fuji

hatsu-gatsuo tsuide nagara mo fuji (no) yama

right after
summer's first bonito -
Mount Fuji


© Issa


mannaka ni fuji sobietari kuni no haru


in the centre,
mount Fuji towers up:
spring in our country
© Sho-u

fuji hitotsu uzumi nokoshite wakaba kana

only Mount Fuji
is not covered with them -
fresh new leaves


© Buson
 
Credits: Mount Fuji (2)

fujiomite tooru hikari toshino ichi

gazing at Mount Fuji
a person passes through -
a year-end fair


© Buson

haari tobu ya fuji no susono no koie yori

winged ants fly into the air
out of a small house
at the foot of Mount Fuji


© Buson

blest be your journey!
men will even go on purpose
to see the snow of Fuji


© Chigetsu-Ni

fuji no kaze ya ogi ni nosete edo miyage

wind from Mount Fuji -
carrying it in my fan,
a souvenir for those in Edo


© Basho


Credits: Mount Fuji Woodblock print by Utagawa Hiroshige (1797-1858)

kirishigure fuji o minu hi zo omoshiroki

misty rain
a day with Mount Fuji unseen:
so enchanting


© Basho

hito one wa shigururu kumo ka fuji no yuki

is one ridge
clouded with winter showers?
Fuji in snow


© Basho

me ni kakaru toki ya kotosara satsuki fuji

especially when
it comes into view -
Fuji in Fifth Month


© Basho


Credits: Through Cherry Blossoms

And to close this classical series of haiku on Mt. Fuji I have found a nice haiku written by Yozakura, the unknown haiku-poet:

fujisan no yuki no hi no owari ni ha sakura


through cherry blossoms
at the end of the day -
snow on Mount Fuji


© Yozakura

Aren't it all wonderful tributes to Mount Fuji, the sacred Japanese mountain? Must be a joy to live in the neighborhood of such a well known mountain ...
I have tried to write a haiku about Mount Fuji myself, but ... I had not enough inspiration I think and as I re-read all those wonderful haiku in this post ... I wouldn't dare to write a haiku about Mount Fuji myself ...

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until November 15th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, Juggler, later on. For now ... just have fun!

6 comments:

  1. Maybe it's arrogant of us to try to write haiku about Mt. Fuji too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely collection of quotes and pictures.
    Can I link my haiku tonight from my twitter page?
    hanna deane #hannadeane or should that be @hannadeane
    I'm new to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many voices here, Chevrefeuille -- so many voices!
    "unseen" Mount Fuji really caught my eye and imagination -
    Quite a challenge, this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it might be a challenge to write on a popular subject -
    but our personal view can always make it 'different'. :)

    Thank you for the lovely haiku and illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I particularly like the haiku with the fan, mainly because it took me several reads before I realised that the "souvenir" might be the fan rather than the wind from Mount Fuji. I did so like the idea of carrying breezes back as souvenirs...

    ReplyDelete