Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Carpe Diem #1331 mirror


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of Carpe Diem Haiku Kai, the place to be if you like to write and share Japanese poetry. This month we are inspired by quotes from the novels by Paulo Coelho, one of my favorite authors. Today I have a nice quote from Coelho's novel "The Winner Stands Alone", a wonderful novel. "The Winner Stands Alone" is very different from his other novels. This novel is a "real" novel with an exciting story.

Let me give you a short summary of "The Winner Stands Alone":

The book loosely tells the story of several individuals: Igor, a Russian millionaire; Hamid, a Middle Eastern fashion magnate; American actress Gabriela, eager to land a leading role; ambitious criminal detective Savoy, hoping to resolve the case of his life; and Jasmine, a woman on the brink of a successful modeling career. Set at the Cannes Film Festival, the tale narrates the epic drama and tension between the characters in a 24-hour period. Igor, a man of extraordinary intelligence, has promised himself to destroy worlds to get his beloved wife Ewa, who left him for a successful designer, Hamid.

The Winner Stands Alone (cover)
It wasn't an easy task to find a quote for your and my inspiration, but after a while I found a nice quote which (I hope) will inspire you.

[...] “The mirror reflects perfectly; it makes no mistakes because it doesn't think. To think is to make mistakes.” [...] (Source: The Winner Stands Alone by Paulo Coelho)

Well ... I think you all know what a mirror is, but I think you all know that other mirror, the human eyes. I think you are familiar with the "proverb" "The Eyes Are The Mirror of the Soul". Of course that's not the mirror in the quote, but of course you can use that idea too for your haiku, tanka or other Japanese poetry form.

mirror
broken mirror
thousand faces looking back
tears shimmer

© Chèvrefeuille

Hm ... not a strong haiku, but I like this one.

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7:00 PM (CET) and will remain open until December 27th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our next episode later on.


No comments:

Post a Comment