Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Carpe Diem's Crossroads #4 morning breeze


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our (very) special feature "crossroads" in which I challenge you fuse two haiku into one haiku. As I have read you all like this feature and you all are becoming better and better in this fusion-haiku crafting.

At first I thought to use different poetry forms from Japan, but I think this feature is specific for haiku, because that's our main goal here at CDHK ... creating haiku. This "crossroads" feature is nice to make, but I think it also helps us all to improve our haiku writing skills.

This week I have chosen two haiku one by a classical haiku poet, Arakida Moritake (1473-1549) and a 'modern' haiku poet, Jane Reichhold (1937-2016). First I will give you the haiku by Moritake. This haiku you all will know I think, it's his most famous haiku:

A fallen blossom
returning to the bough, I thought --
But no, a butterfly.

© Arakida Moritake (Tr. Steven D. Carter)


photo © Chèvrefeuille
And here is the haiku by Jane Reichhold. She is still missed at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. So let this "crossroads" episode be a little tribute too for her.

morning breeze
coming in the window
surf sounds

© Jane Reichhold

A nice set of haiku to work with and create a "fusion"-haiku with it. I have given it a try myself, but it wasn't easy:

the sound of the surf
enters my home through the open window
and a butterfly


© Chèvrefeuille

Well ... not a strong "fusion" haiku, but I like it.

This episode of "crossroads" is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until April 10th at noon (CEST). Have fun!


2 comments:

  1. This is such a clever task mate, really like it. Urge participants to invite people to CDHK on their blogs. Your haiku fused!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your "fusion" haiku, Kristjaan...and your lovely photo! Thanks for these crossroads/fusion challenges.

    ReplyDelete