Friday, September 8, 2017

Carpe Diem's Tan Renga Challenge weekend-meditation #1 raindrops

Carpe Diem Tan Renga Challenge weekend-meditation

!! Open for your submissions next Sunday September 10th at 7:00 PM (CET) !!!

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at the first "weekend-meditation" of September 2017. This month I have "new" weekend-meditations for you. This month those will be Tan Renga, Soliloquy no Renga and Rengay. For this first "weekend-meditation" I have chosen a Tan Renga challenge. (More about Tan Renga and examples of Tan Renga you can find above in the menu).

Tan Renga is a short renga created by two poets. The first stanza, 3 lines (hokku) and the second stanza, 2 lines (Ageku). The 2nd stanza you have to create through associating on images in the first stanza. To make this first "new" weekend-meditation a real challenge I ask you to create Tan Renga with two classical haiku I will give. To make it even more a challenge I love to challenge you to create a so called "squared" Tan Renga, that means you have to create a short renga of four stanza (or two Tan Renga).

Shantytown Soweto
Let me give you an example:

hokku:

so many temples
all breaths become one
the steps flow            

together with the one I love
on a pilgrimage to happiness               (Chèv)

happiness shared
as we walk through shantytowns
bread and water                                    (Chèv)

unconditional love
as we walk our path together               (Chèv)

This is what I call a "squared Tan Renga", the hokku was written by one of our former family-members, and the three following stanza were created by myself.

raindrops

Okay back to our present "weekend-meditation". Here are the two haiku to use:

The first haiku to use and create a "Squared Tan Renga" with is one by Kobayashi Issa, one of the five greatest haiku poets:

three raindrops
a greeting card from heaven...
midsummer heat

© Issa

And here is the other haiku to create a Squared Tan Renga with:

flying away
following the rainbow
into heaven

© Chèvrefeuille

Well ... I think this is an awesome "weekend-meditation" and I am looking forward to your responses. This "weekend-meditation" is open for your submissions next Sunday September 10th at 7:00 PM (CET) and will close on September 17th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new 'regular' episode around that time too. You can find a preview for the next 'regular' CD Imagination episode on our CDHK Tumblr. Have a great weekend!


3 comments:

  1. Kristjaan, please clarify whether you want us to create one Squared Tan Renga consisting of the two given hokku with our added lines or two separate Squared Tan Renga, one for each of the given haiku. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... what shall I say ... you may decide yourself if you like to create Squared Tan Renga with the both haiku. The goal I had in mind was that you have to create two Squared Tan Renga, starting with each given haiku, that would be two separate Squared Tan Renga. I hope I have enlightend you with this answer. Have fun! And ... of course a great weekend.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kristjaan - that's what I was thinking and started my squared tan renga. :)

      Delete