Thursday, December 1, 2016

Carpe Diem #1083 Air (Bach)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Well ... our first day of December has almost gone. I had a day off, but it was a day planned fully with all other things I had to do, but hadn't time for. Today my mom and I visited the graveyard to see how beautiful my dad's grave has become after placing the tombstone. It has become really beautiful, but it was also very emotional to be there after eight months. We stood there in deep silence, only the sound of nature and the beating of our hearts ... finally we can start to mourn really.

Today I have a nice piece of music for you by one of my favorites composers, J.S. Bach. I have played a lot of his oeuvre and I enjoyed that very much. I played on the organ of our church and I had my own chamber organ with the sound pipes enclosed in its body. I really enjoyed playing it. It brought the church organ into our home.

J.S. Bach (1685-1750)
J.S. Bach

Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 – 1750) was a German composer and musician of the Baroque period. He enriched established German styles through his skill in counterpoint, harmonic and motive organization, and the adaptation of rhythms, forms, and textures from abroad, particularly from Italy and France. Bach's compositions include the Brandenburg Concertos, the Goldberg Variations, the Mass in B minor, two Passions, and over three hundred cantatas of which around two hundred survive. His music is revered for its technical command, artistic beauty, and intellectual depth.
Bach's abilities as an organist were highly respected during his lifetime, although he was not widely recognized as a great composer until a revival of interest in and performances of his music in the first half of the 19th century. He is now generally regarded as one of the greatest composers of all time.

The piece of music which I love to share today to inspire you is Air by J.S. Bach, it's a wonderful composition and I have played it several times myself.


heavenly music
birds praising their Creator
a new day rises


© Chèvrefeuille

I hope the music of Bach will inspire you.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until December 6th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, Serenade by Schubert, later on.

!!! PS. I am hopelessly behind with commenting I hope to catch up soon !!!


7 comments:

  1. This looks set to be a very emotional month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome, but not really the goal of this month. I love all the music I have chosen for this month. Music is emotion as is haiku and tanka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Musicians call Bach the voice of God for a very good reason and not just classical musicians. Sting is a Bach devotee.
    Thank you for this lovely prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful musical theme for this month, Kristjaan! I cannot comment on Forest Bather's site but I admire both tankas you linked to this...simply lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this air is a wonderful composition and a splendid choice for a CDHK episode. Writing this comment after 15 responses have been linked in, I am happy to see how several of the haiku are especially attuned to this little gem from Bach's huge and diverse catalog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Air is really a nice JSB composition.

    ReplyDelete