Monday, November 7, 2016

Carpe Diem Tanka Splendor #8 dragonfly


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joyful month this is. I have already read wonderful Tanka and I love it. I am not such a great tanka-poet, but I am starting to become addicted to this form. Yesterday we had the third Tanka Writing Technique by Teika "Elegant Beauty" and today I think I have a nice prompt to create Tanka with.

Today our prompt is dragonfly and I have found a few nice tanka with this prompt in it. I love to share them here with you all:

Dragonfly

two trees meet as one
two dragonflies dart past them
through an empty branch
over water and oars drip
as they transcended darkness
 
© M. Asim Nehal

a dragonfly
above the reeds
motionless
but for the wild blues
it vibrates in the sun
© Michael McClintock

Two beautiful tanka based on the prompt dragonfly. I found them online.

In the history of CDHK we have had "dragonfly" several times and I remember that we have had it a few times in a Tan Renga challenge. So I ran through our archives and found a few nicely created Tan Renga which I have "re-built" to the Tanka form.

shamanic journey
a red dragonfly comes
to guide the canoe
ancient wisdom unfolds
becoming one with the dragonfly
© Jane Reichhold & Chèvrefeuille
Dragonfly (2)
glittering blue
above empty riverbed
wings of dragonfly
through the mist, the croaking of frogs;
soon the riverbed will be full again
© Ese & Chèvrefeuille
Isn't it wonderful to "re-do" Tan Renga into Tanka? Of course I had to try to create an all new tanka for this episode ...

The dragonfly symbolizes change. Change in the perspective of self realization. The kind of change that has its source in mental and emotional maturity and the understanding of the deeper meaning of life.

I just had to include the deeper meaning of the dragonfly, because I think that makes it easier (at least for me) to create a tanka with dragonfly, trying to use ofcourse the techniques by Teika.

dragonfly dances
above the old pond of Basho -
the sound of water
wings reflecting sunlight
on young green leaves


© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until November 12th at noon (CET). I will try to post our next episode, a new Universal Jane, later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment