Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Carpe Diem Tanka Splendor #23 crows


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today I have a slightly different episode for you all. As you maybe know every Wednesday I publish an episode of "Universal Jane", but during lack of time I have decided to bring both planned episodes together in one post.

Today our prompt is crows and of course the first thing which came in mind was that famous crow-haiku by Matsuo Basho, my master:

on a bare branch
a crow lands
autumn dusk
© Basho (Tr. Jane Reichhold)
Jane has translated a lot of haiku written by Basho and after a period of ten years she published her "The Complete Haiku by Basho", which I have used very often here at CDHK. So this haiku I couldn't forget for this episode, but what is the slightly difference of this episode?
Well ... let me tell you that. This month its all about Tanka Writing Techniques and maybe you know that Tanka and Tan Renga are looking the same, the only difference is that a tanka is writtern by one poet and the Tan Renga by two poets.
 
For today's episode I love to challenge you to create a Tanka inspired on the above famous haiku by Basho, or make the Tan Renga complete by adding your two lines towards the haiku by Basho.
I have chosen to create a new tanka inspired on this haiku by Basho:
autumn departs
between bare branches
crows nest abandoned
after the cold dark winter
it will be inhabited again
© Chèvrefeuille
This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until November 28th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, black earth, later on. For now ... have fun!
 

2 comments:

  1. Well that was interrsting, but I must day that within your tanka lies a superb haiku!

    ReplyDelete