Thursday, November 17, 2016

Carpe Diem Tanka Splendor #18 depression


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today I have another prompt for you to work with. Today our prompt is depression and that's maybe not a theme for tanka, as it is mostly a poetry form for love poems, but I think this prompt can challenge you to think out of the box.

Depression? In this prompt I mean the "mood", because in tanka "mood" plays a big role. Let me first try to explain what depression can be.

Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity or apathy that can affect a person's thoughts, behavior, feelings and sense of well-being.
People with a depressed mood can feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable, angry, ashamed or restless. They may lose interest in activities that were once pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details or making decisions, experience relationship difficulties and may contemplate, attempt or commit suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, aches, pains, digestive problems or reduced energy may also be present. (source: wikipedia)
depression
A lot to cope with if you have a depression. I remember that I had a depression back in 2008. All things in my life went wrong. I had problems at work, but also in my relationship. It took a while before I found my joy of life back, but not after a lot of tears and even suicidal thoughts. In that time I didn't write a lot of haiku or did something else. It really felt as if my life was over. But I survived because of the strong love of my colleagues and my family. After that period of depression I started to appreciate life more than ever and found my way of life back.

garbage 
the rotting remains of life
take my breath away
a broken heart and more, but ... 
the sun started to shine again

© Chèvrefeuille

I hope you will not become depressed through this prompt. This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until November 22nd at noon (CET). I will try to publish our next post, Teika's 7th Tanka Writing Technique, later on.


2 comments:

  1. Did you forget to post the link up button hehehehe! I don't see it Chevrefeuille.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough tsnka to read old friend...but interesting the idea of tanka and moods. Had not thought of that.

    ReplyDelete