Wednesday, May 4, 2016

In The Spotlight at Carpe Diem #2 Joyce Lorenson


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

It's my pleasure to bring a new episode of our "In The Spotlight at Carpe Diem" feature. Last week I introduced to you Robert Gibson a.k.a. Ubugu and today I love to introduce to you another great haiku poetess who shares her haiku through the mail with us.

For starters I love to share a haiga created by Joyce inspired on "puddles" after that Joyce will tell you something about herself.

© haiku by Joyce Lorenson
This is what Joyce tells about herself:


[...] "I was born in 1944 in Rhode Island, U.S.A., and lived my first years on my grandfather's dairy farm by the sea, where my father and grandfather were fishermen and farmers. My childhood was spent working with my parents and brothers on our farms, a wonderful time so in tune with nature.
I grew up in the company of cows, surrounded by a river, a pond, fields, orchards and woods, and all the animals and birds that are part of that landscape. My entire life has been spent here in New England not far from where I was born. At age twelve I was introduced to poetry at school and was smitten. I decided I wanted to be a poet, but sadly I felt I had no ability and abandoned the idea.

Around that time I also discovered the culture of Japan and became enamored of all things Japanese. Upon graduating high school, I soon married and had a family, years later I became a florist, never losing my love of poetry, but not writing. 

Joyce Lorenson (2016)

Five years ago I decided it was now or never, I had to give writing a go. After writing several traditional free verse poems, I began to feel a shorter form would suit me better. Having always loved haiku, a year ago I thought I would try my hand at it and found it very enjoyable, but challenging, which also suits me.

I continually strive to improve my haiku. I have been very lucky to have had several poems published, a long awaited dream come true, as well as my dream of visiting Japan, which I did twice. I also paint, make botanical prints, and am a bird and nature watcher as I still live in a rural area." [...]


A wonderful biography in which we already read that Joyce is close to nature ... haiku has done it again ... haiku found another 'real' haiku poet living close to nature and with nature. As you have read above Joyce was already in love with nature on a young age and I am glad that she granted me also permission to use a childhood photo of her.

Joyce already studying nature on my grandfather's farm
I am honored that Joyce would participate in this new feature at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. I have several haiku written by her inspired on our prompts which I love to share here too.

Magnolia:

magnolia blossoms
their lemony fragrance
lifting my spirits

lake:

lights along the shore
shimmering reflections
ripple in the lake

glowing in the dark
friendly lights
far side of the lake

inspired on Sara's kikobun:

dappled summer morning

picking silver blushed berries
tongues dyed indigo *



*This is taken from a poem I wrote about going blueberrying as a child.


haiga muddy road by Joyce Lorenson
A kikobun:

Nestled below Kamakura hills we descended down the path to visit the temple complex. It was a warm, sunny day with the scents of spring and bird song. The history and architecture filled us with awe and respect. After strolling about the grounds, we left, climbing the uphill path in contemplation when suddenly the stillness was broken by a loud blast of noise. We turned, looking back and down into the valley, and witnessed a chain of saffron robed monks walking in a procession from the temple, their leader blowing on a conch shell horn, a very Zen moment.

conch shell blast
quaking leaves
in the vacillating air

ginkgo:

an ancient gingko
girdled with a shimenawa
prayers of pilgrims

rain: 

unexpected rain
on the Kamakura station platform
a man selling umbrella


spatter of rain
on our umbrella
counting koi

waking to rain
in a lamp lit puddle
swirling leaves


haiga "prayers for rain" by Joyce Lorenson

falling leaves:

leaves sailing
in a whirl of wind
our separate lives

pagoda:

emerging from a cloud
of cherry blossoms
five storied pagoda

birds miss the point
piercing the sky
pagoda at Kan'ei-ji

I think you all think the same about Joyce her haiku and haiga. Joyce is a very gifted haiku poetess and I am so proud that I had the honor to create this "In The Spotlight" episode about her.

Do you know a haiku poet / ess without a weblog or website who loves to be published online here at Carpe Diem Haiku Kai? Please let me know through an email to our emailaddress: carpediemhaikukai@gmail.com

I am looking forward to your responses. As you know there is no linking possibility for this special feature, but you can respond through the comment-field.


8 comments:

  1. a pleasure reading. I especially like how Joyce has mastered writing haiku in two parts: the fragment and the phrase. I can imagine that pagoda emerging from a cloud of cherry petals. "our separate lives" is also a lovely haiku. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful kikobun in this fine page. Really very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice to meet you, Joyce and to read your beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristjann, it was great getting to learn about another poet. Joyce's work has a simple beauty that really evokes images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing Joyce's poetry with us, Kristjaan, and thanks to Joyce for giving us the opportunity to read it. Loved that sparrow in a puddle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of sharing this way Kristjaan. Joyce, a job well done, I really enjoyed these. I especially love the series on rain. Nice work:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone! for your kind compliments. I have enjoyed meeting all of you through your poetry. I always look forward to seeing the diversity of everyone's work in answering the challenges. I am honored to be a part of your community. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Kristjaan. Joyce's poems are lovely.

    ReplyDelete