Saturday, February 20, 2016

Carpe Diem #922 sight (colors)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

February is running to its end and we are facing the last week of this month of CDHK in which we discovered the beauty of our senses and tried to sharpen them. Today we are looking at sight (colors). As we look around us we see the beauty of our world, mostly full of colors, but for those who are color-blind, the world is only red and green if they are partial color-blind, but if they are 100% color-blind their world is black and white ...

Introduction

I am lucky, because I can see all colors, but (and that's maybe a kind of color blindness too) I like black and white photographs, because black and white shows no differences, every one and everything looks alike and that is awesome ... maybe in a way ... this refers to compassion, as was the theme of todays Theme Week post.

fresh fallen snow
sprinkled with the colors of autumn
everlasting

© Chèvrefeuille


Colors

Hamish on sight (colors)

A rainbow. A rose. A beautiful view over a landscape. A sunset. Where would we be without sight? And yet, NLP — Neuro-Linguistic Programming maintains that we are divided into 3 categories as people, predominantly Visual,Auditory (sound) and Kinesthetic (moving/touch/feeling). Are we all predominantly Visual, using sight as our 'main' sense? Well, take this short quiz we have devised and find out!

The minimum points for each answer is 0 — The maximum points for each answer is 5 — you may choose any number between 0 and 5 as many times as you want while answering. 5 indicates strong agreement.

VAK Survey


Section One — Visual


_____ 1. I draw mind maps when taking notes.
_____ 2. When talking to someone else I have a difficult time understanding those who do not maintain good eye contact with me or at least glance often.
_____ 3. I doodle when talking on the phone, or draw pictures.
_____ 4. When reading a novel, I pay a lot of attention to passages that picture the clothing, description, scenery, setting, etc.
_____ 5. I need a map for directions, drawn or printed, so that I can remember them.
_____ 6. I need to see the person I am taking to in order in order to keep my attention focused on the subject.
_____ 7. When meeting a person for the first time, I notice the style of dress, visual characteristics, and neatness first.
_____ 8. When I am at a party, one of the things I love to do is stand back and people-watch.
_____ 9. When recalling information I can see it in my mind and remember where I saw it.
_____ 10. If I had to explain a new procedure or technique, I would prefer to use lots of visuals.
_____ 11. In my free time I am most likely to watch television or read.
_____ 12. If my boss has a message for me, I am most comfortable when she sends a memo.
Total For Visual _______ (note: the minimum is 0 and maximum is 60)

Section Two — Auditory



_____ 1. When I read, I read out loud or move my lips to hear the words in my head.
_____ 2. When talking to someone, I have a difficult time understanding those who do not talk or respond with me.
_____ 3. I do not take a lot of notes but I still remember what was said. Taking notes often distracts me from the speaker.
_____ 4. When reading a novel, I pay a lot of attention to passages involving conversations, talking, speaking, dialogues, etc.
_____ 5. I like to talk to myself when solving a problem or writing.
_____ 6. I can understand what a speaker says, even if I am not focused on the speaker.
_____ 7. I remember things easier by repeating them over and over.
_____ 8. When I am at a party, one of the things I love to do is talk in-depth about a subject that is important to me with a good conversationalist.
_____ 9. I prefer to receive information from the radio, rather than read a newspaper.
_____ 10. If I had to explain a new procedure or technique, I would prefer telling about it.
_____ 11. With my free time I am most likely to listen to music.
_____ 12. If my boss has a message for me, I am most comfortable when he or she calls me on the phone.

Section Three — Kinesthetic



_____ 1. I am not good at reading or listening to directions. I would rather just start working on the task or project at hand.
_____ 2. When talking to someone, I have a difficult time understanding those who do not show any kind of emotional or physical support.
_____ 3. I take notes, but I rarely go back a look at them.
_____ 4. When reading a novel, I pay a lot of attention to passages revealing feelings, moods, action, drama, etc.
_____ 5. When I am reading, I move my lips.
_____ 6. I often exchange words, such as places or things, and use my hands a lot when I can’t remember the right thing to say.
_____ 7. My desk appears disorganized.
_____ 8. When I am at a party, one of the things I love to do is enjoy the activities such as dancing, games, and totally losing myself in the action.
_____ 9. I like to move around. I feel trapped when seated at a meeting or a desk.
_____ 10. If I had to explain a new procedure or technique, I would prefer actually demonstrating it.
_____ 11. With my free time I am most likely to exercise.
_____ 12. If my boss has a message for me, I am most comfortable when she talks to me in person.


SCORING PROCEDURES


Please put your scores down, and relate your scores to your personal experience. Why is it that when you are asked to bring home potatoes you never do? Is it because you were only and orally asked, not given a paper with ‘’potatoes! don't forget!’’ on it to look at? What other situations have you noticed where communication has been less than successful?

VISUAL ________ AUDIO_________ KINESTHETIC_________

Well, even if you do not score predominantly Visual, write a haiku that shines in different colors or hues. If you are not predominantly Visual, or are predominantly another sense on the VAK scale, it is useful to know, as you may be using too much of one of the 3 senses in your haiku.

Well .... a extraordinary post this time. What was the outcome of your NLP related test?


My interpretation of Mondriaan (art work © Chèvrefeuille)

My response

Sorry I didn't take the test, but I think I use all my senses, not only in my daily life, but also in my haiku. Here are a few examples of haiku from my archive:

waterfall of colors
leaves whirl through the street -
departing summer
 

deep silence
sunbeams breaking through the water -
the silence deepens

colorful leaves
everywhere I look ... autumn -
Ah! that sweet perfume

through the open window
riding along with the cold winter wind
the scent of Forsythia

© Chèvrefeuille

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until February 23rd at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our next episode, Hamish's 4th CD Special, later on.


4 comments:

  1. Interesting set of questions. However, I know already that I am 100% visual. I could do quite well without smell and hearing. I'm sad that Hamish doesn't experience Mondriaan the way I do. His visual presentation unsettles me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That interpretation of Mondriaan isn't done by Hamish, but by me, your host at CDHK. And it's just my look at the beauty of Mondriaan's paintings.

      Delete
  2. It seems that I primarily learn kinesthetically but the sight and sound ways tie for a very close second. This was interesting. Now to apply allt his to a haiku. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spectrum spiral graphic is delightful.

    ReplyDelete