Friday, December 12, 2014

Carpe Diem #625, Glacier


!!! This episode is published earlier than I normally do, because I am in the nightshift !!!

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a nice "snow" haiku I have read in response on our yesterday's 'regular' post and today we are going a little step further with snow, because today we have glacier for prompt ... several years ago one of the sons of our former queen Beatrix had an accident on a glacier. He fell into a coma and a year later he passed away. Glaciers are dangerous, but also very beautiful ...

A glacier (US /ˈɡleɪʃər/ or UK /ˈɡlæsiə/) is a persistent body of dense ice that is constantly moving under its own weight; it forms where the accumulation of snow exceeds its ablation (melting and sublimation) over many years, often centuries. Glaciers slowly deform and flow due to stresses induced by their weight, creating crevasses, seracs, and other distinguishing features. They also abrade rock and debris from their substrate to create landforms such as cirques and moraines. Glaciers form only on land and are distinct from the much thinner sea ice and lake ice that form on the surface of bodies of water.

Credits: Grey Glacier Torres del Paine National Park Chile
This glacier looks fantastic ... let me look at the haiku which Jane uses for example for this modern kigo for winter according to her "A Dictionary of Haiku":

under low clouds
evening sky glacier
cools the wind


a journey ends
where the glacier melted
a field of stones


© Jane Reichhold


Two extraordinary beautiful haiku I think ... I am not familiar with glaciers, so I will have some difficulties to write a haiku inresponse on this prompt myself.


as far as I can see
blueish, greyish and whiteish snow
first glacier contact


© Chèvrefeuille

Hm ... not a strong one ... it is not satisfying to read this haiku. It's just as I said ... I have not seen a glacier for real ... so I had to use the photo of the Grey Glacier above.

This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until December 15th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our next episode, mountain cabin, later on. For now ... have fun ... be inspired and share your haiku (or tanka) with us all.

11 comments:

  1. Now THIS will be a tough challenge --
    great prompt though -- one to mull over for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you publish the prompts early when you are on the night shift. Would you consider doing it this way all the time? It's very helpful. Thank you for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful haiku!

    I wish you a blessed holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geraldine and i wish you the same ... this time of year is awesome!

      Delete
  4. This was a very interesting and relevant prompt for me! I thought your haiku was very good considering you have never seen a glacier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this prompt a lot.. though for me a glacier is a summer kigo . in winter they are covered in snow.. and you cannot tell the difference .. but it was very inspiring to write to

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen a glacier but I believe you can hear them under the ice. I am not a snow person but at one stage in my life I used to go skiing every year and I used to stay in a log cabin so I'm looking forward to that one...will attempt to find an old pic:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took a different route 'human nature'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Due to being not able to connect to the internet just as I was getting ready to write the post,
    it was way past my bedtime and tacked the response to Carpe Diem #624, Snow on the same page. Winter memories are some of my favorites and the ku I wrote was so vivid, I just wanted to share it here.

    Soon I will give it a page of its own but I know that many people only read the posts here.

    Peace and love, Siggi

    ReplyDelete