Thursday, December 11, 2014

Carpe Diem #624, Snow


!! This post is published earlier than I normally do, because I am in the nightshift !!

Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Today our prompt is snow ... what to say about snow? Nothing I think. I think this is such a prompt in which the prompt says enough. So the only thing I do in this episode is to give you a few examples of haiku by Jane which she gave in her saijiki "A Dicitionary of Haiku" for the kigo snow.

It has become a little list of haiku which I love to share here. Jane has a lot of great examples, but these are in my opinion the most beautiful:

Satisfied
with toast and cocoa
it stops snowing

porch light
brilliant with the points
of falling snow


night light
snow falls
on the porch
 
first snow
deep as a fallen leaf
upright

mountain deep
a sky covering with snow
our way home


blue cold snow
warmed by fallen leaves
russet brown


© Jane Reichhold
All wonderfully composed little gems I think, maybe you have other ideas about these haiku by Jane than please let me know. I have written several winter haiku and snow haiku and I love to share a haibun here about snow:
 




On Bare Feet, a haibun
I love walking on bare feet. So I do that a lot. As I come home from work the first thing I do is pull off my shoes and socks. It feels good. The air around my feet that have been enclosed in shoes the whole day. Even outside I am walking on bare feet.
Today I realized that I was on bare feet when I walked outside in the snow to close the fence. It’s so common to me to walk on bare feet.In Summer’s, when our dog was still alive, I walked him on bare feet. I love the contact with Mother Earth as I am walking on bare feet through the grass, the forest or where ever. It feels like I am a kid again. When I was a baby I laid in my pram with bare feet. In that time I was pure and didn’t know much of the world. I didn’t know about haibun and haiku or what form of poetry.Now … years later I experience that same pureness and not knowing when I walk on bare feet. Love that. Once again I have to walk on bare feet through the snow to close the fence again. The mailman has not closed it. When I have closed the fence I open the Christmas cards. In one of them I see a wonderful Anton Pieck card, such a nostalgic card. A little boy, poorly dressed, walking on bare feet in the snow and throwing snowballs. He laughs and his face is healthy red by the cold and the joy of throwing snowballs.
on bare feet
a street urchin plays
in the snow


© Chèvrefeuille
It was a pleasure to create this episode about snow for you all ... I hope it will inspire you to write an all new haiku, tanka or maybe a haibun (prose and haiku). Have fun!
This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until December 14th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our next episode, glacier, later on.


7 comments:

  1. Loved the haibun, Kristjaan -- I too am a "barefooter".

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a charming little urchin! He deserves to have fun in the snow, even if his feet are bare. Thanks for this stunning haiku, Kristjaan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading you wonderful haibun ... thanks for sharing Chèvrefeuille ... BTW, we never wear shoes in the house the first thing that comes off are shoes and socks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is what it's all about, my friend, posts like this...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rather you than me :-)
    Love the Xmas card you feature.
    Thinking today on a haibun, which is a format I really really enjoy reading and writing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the haibun. MIne is late, but I posted it anyway.
    http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/12/15/first-snow/

    ReplyDelete