Thursday, November 27, 2014

Carpe Diem Special #119, Tomas Tranströmer's 5th "a wild boar plays the organ"


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a joy it was to discover the haiku by Tranströmer this month. I am a bit sad today, because today we have our last Carpe Diem Special with a haiku written by Tranströmer our featured haiku-poet this month. By the way next month we will have another wonderful haiku-poet to discover namely Richard Wright (1908-1960), but that's for next month.

Today I love to share the following haiku by Tranströmer:

then the leaves whispered:
a wild boar plays the organ.
and the bells all rang


© Tomas Tranströmer


This haiku feels like a fairytale ... it's a fairytale in its own ... so maybe it's an idea to try to write a fairytale-like haiku in response on this one by Tranströmer ... well it's up to you my dear Haijin, visitors and travelers.



And to give that idea a try myself I love to reproduce a haiku which I once wrote in response on the fairytale "The Nightingale":

what a sadness
artificial Nightingale's broken -
faraway birdsong


© Chèvrefeuille


This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until November 30th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our next episode, paradise, later on. For now ... have fun!

3 comments:

  1. Although I've written a haiku, trying to keep the same tone and spirit of the one by Tomas Tranströmer, I have to confess that his deeply puzzles me. I thought haiku was to be written in the present tense, yet he writes in the past. Oh, well, at least I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for being absent.. I really like this way of writing.. of going back through Swedish to interpret the haiku... I loved the fairytale of the nightingale connection...

    ReplyDelete