Friday, November 14, 2014

Carpe Diem #605, Hantu Pisang


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Maybe you can remember our Legend, Myth, Saga and Fairytale month (May 2014) in which we explored the most wonderful stories from all over the world. In response on that month there were a few suggestions for prompts. One of them was "Japanese ghosts and spirits and so on" and that was the reason that I have brought up this prompt Hantu Pisang. The Hantu Pisang (Mah Meri) is a beautiful ghost that is supposedly formed when the heart of the banana bud is pierced with a nail attached to a thread. There is a movie with this Hantu Pisang in the lead, but I couldn't find it again.
There are also several photo's in which people see Hantu Pisang as e.g.


In the Red Circles you can see Hantu Pisang

I just had to laugh as I looked at this photo ... in my opinion it's just a banana-leaf with a few holes in it, but ... you never know.
I have sought for other pictures and I must say I have found a picture with a real Hantu Pisang on it ...

Pisang-Art: Hantu Pisang
It will be for sure a legend, saga, myth or a fairytale, but it was a joy to bring this prompt at our CDHK.

I have written a haiku inspired on this Hantu Pisang idea, but there will be no pisang in it, but the one I love, she ... the moon. A few days ago, I was in the nightshift, I was underway to my work, it became a little bit misty and as I looked to the sky I saw her, the moon clothed in a thin veil of clouds. The thin clouds looked like beams ... right on that moment I cycled through a bank of fog I felt the moist coldness of the fog and I shivered ... It felt like something carressed my skin ... a ghost?
I don't think so, but it inspired me to write the following haiku:

kiri no aki no yoru kanojo ha tsuki usui kumo no ushiro kara sekai ni yuurei wo soushin shimasu

a misty autumn night -
she, the moon, sends ghosts from behind thin clouds
back into the world

© Chèvrefeuille 


a misty autumn night


And I have another nice haiku, not written by myself, but by Yozakura, the unknown haiku-poet.

hantoumei no koucha no kappu cha no fukai himitsu goosuto wo hi hyouji ni

translucent tea cup
hides a deep secret
ghost of tea

© Yozakura
This haiku is based on a nice story about the image of a geisha appearing in a tea cup. The molded art is made, by very thin translucent porcelain also known as Lithophane.  This process can create a 3-D image.  YOU can see the image when light n' shadows are in play, when you tilt your cup of tea.   You can also set the cup in a sunny window and view it at different times during the day.  Sunlight alters the image and the Geisha Ghost will appear. It is said that this way of making porcelain goes back to the Tang-Dynasty (618-907).

Well ,,, I hope you did like this episode about Hantu Pisang and that it will inspire you to write an all new haiku ... Have fun ... be inspired and share ..
This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until November 17th at noon (CET). I will (try to) publish our new episode, our third CD Special by our featured haiku-poet Tranströmer, later on.

6 comments:

  1. Love your two haiku. The moon sending ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat myth! Sometimes the leaves can look a bit like faces peering back at you -- not sure why people are running around piercing banana buds with nails & thread - but - hey - who am I to judge? ;)

    Thanks for sharing this --
    Great photos too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting post with humour and surrealism and great haiku. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think this spirit is related to the hantu pocong?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocong

    Lots of movies about it too ---

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say that this was a challenging (or weird) prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little weird's good every now and then .... ;)

      Delete