Sunday, May 25, 2014

Carpe Diem's Kamishiba #9, Pampasgrass Ocean


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers ,

It's a long time ago that I challenged you to write a haibun. So it's time for a new episode of CDHK's Kamishibai (Storyteller) feature in which the goal is to write haibun. A haibun is a short story or travalogue in which poetry and prose are intwined.

For this episode I have a 'great' challenge for you. No special words to use or a maximum of words or something. Only a haiku, written by myself, for your inspiration or to write a haibun towards.

Here is the haiku for your inspiration:

swaying in the breeze
like waves on the ocean
pampasgrass plums


© Chèvrefeuille

And here my inspired haibun:

Pampasgrass Ocean

One day, not so long ago, I was on vacation in Spain. I think it was last year, but I don't know that for sure. I like to have active vacations so I walk a lot through the surrounding nature of the hotel were I am staying.

Credits: Pampasgrass Ocean

This day, it was really hot and there was a little breeze that didn't give coolness. As I was walking in the backlands of my hotel I ran into a field of pampasgrass ... it looked awesome and as I closed my eyes a bit ... the scene seemed to change into waves on the ocean. I had to dive in to cool down. So I took of my clothes and ran naked into it. It was really a feeling of freedom, but than ... some other guy yelled at me: "senior!" I looked around me and saw the guy standing. He laughed bright and pointed to me. "Senior, what are you doing? This is not the ocean, but a field of Pampasgrass". It felt as if I awoke as I saw my stupidity and my nudeness. I felt how I blushed .... and than I laughed bright.
I walked out of the pampasgrass, hiding my private parts behind my hands, and put on my clothes. "I thought it was the ocean", I said. " I just had no clue that it was just a field of pampasgrass".

swaying in the breeze
like waves on the ocean
pampasgrass plums


© Chèvrefeuille

What a shame don't you think so? But at the other hand it was an adventure ... I am not a prude, but this was ... to much (smiles).

This episode of CDHK's Kamishibai is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until June 15th at noon. For now ... have fun, be inspired and let the words flow and bring a haibun together. As rivers run into the ocean.


2 comments:

  1. A very funny haibun full of all the ingredients (very) close contact with nature, a lot of movement and a twist at the end - but what a glorious idea! The sight and sounds of the grass i very much like the sea...even if the other guy did not think so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor local guy, laughing and shaking his head: "tourists! sheesh!" Thank goodness he was a good-natured fellow! :) Still ... it was a glorious moment of freedom while it lasted, no? It's a good thing when we can use our writing to laugh at ourselves and with ourselves.

    ReplyDelete