Saturday, May 17, 2014

Carpe Diem #470, Proud (Native American, Indian)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

We will continue our journey along the world wide Legends, Myths, Saga and Folktales and after our side-step yesterday we return to our Native American friends. Today our prompt is Proud and it refers to a legend which is told by several different Indian tribes.

Before I share that beautiful story I first will ask your attention for the following. As you all know I have started a Carpe Diem Haiku Kai Forum where you can ask help by writing your haiku or making it stronger. There are several questions published to be answered and I would like to invite you all to maybe visit our forum and help our family-members. You can go to our forum by clicking in the column at the left or by clicking HERE.

Credits: Coyote Proud
Ok ... back to our episode of today. Here is the story of the Coyote Proud:

The Story of the Coyote Proud

In old days Coyote was bright green, and how he came to be the colour of dust, was this way:

One day he was walking along looking for something to eat, and he came to a lake. And there he saw a little bird with ugly grey feathers. It was bathing in the lake, and when it came out on the bank, all its feathers fell off and left its skin bare.
After that, the little bird jumped into the lake again, and came out covered with beautiful bright blue feathers! It hopped about and sang:
"This water is blue!
And blue I am too!"
"Little Bird," cried Coyote, "you are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen! Tell me how you changed your ugly feathers for these bright blue ones."
"I went into the lake four times in four days, and sang a magic song," said the little bird, "and the fourth time, my feathers all fell off. Then I jumped in a fifth time, and these beautiful ones grew all over me."
"Little Bird," said Coyote, "teach me your song, for I also wish to be blue."
So the bird taught Coyote its song, and he jumped into the lake and bathed four times in four days. The fourth time all his hair dropped off. Then he jumped in again, and his hair came back a beautiful bright blue.
Well! He was proud! And as he walked along he looked about on all sides to see if anyone was admiring him. He even examined his shadow to see if it was blue. And of course he did not look where he was going, and suddenly he hit a stump, and rolled over into the dust.
He rolled and rolled, and when he got up he was all dust-coloured! And that is the reason why ever since that day all Coyotes have been the colour of dirt.
 
Credits: Coyote Proud
A wonderful story I think ... I enjoyed it for sure. I hope this story will inspire you to write haiku and share them with us all here at our Haiku Kai. This story brought a smile on my face and so I have tried to bring a little bit humor in my haiku. I hope I have succeeded in that goal ...
proud like a peacock
steps a businessman around
stumbles over the sill
© Chèvrefeuille
This episode is open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until May 20th at noon (CET). I will try to post our new episode, uneasy, later on today. For now ... have fun, be inspired and share your haiku with us all here at our Haiku Kai. !! Visit also our weekly haiku-meme Haiku Shuukan !! 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment