Sunday, May 11, 2014

Carpe Diem #465, Sacrifice


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Sacrifice ... giving all, even life ... that's sacrifice, but what has sacrifice to do with haiku? Not much I think. To me writing haiku is no sacrifice, hosting CDHK isn't a sacrifice. Of course it takes a lot of time, but a sacrifice? No .....
On the other hand ... haiku has a lot to do with sacrifice ...! Every haiku-poet wrote a Jisei or Deathpoem. Sacrifice to the max. Living our life fully as a haiku-poet, close to nature giving up all luxery, looking for that one moment as short as the sound of a pebble thrown into water to write THE all time perfect haiku ... day in, day out ... that's sacrifice.
I love to share here a few Jisei, death poems, of a few haiku poets (unknown and known):


heading to the end
treading through heavy snow
way of the brush

© Wakyu


it's become a habit
bowing to the west
New Year’’s dawn


© Wagin


fallen ill on a journey
my dreams
wander over withered fields


© Basho


Credits: Runes

This prompt was referring to the legend "Odin's Discovery of the Runes" which you can read HERE 

I have tried to wrote a ''deathpoem" myself ... it's not my intention to die soon, but sometimes I think about what to write on to my tombstone. So I thought a Jisei had to be it ...

finally peace
one with nature and the Universe
a haiku myself

(c) Chèvrefeuille

This episode will be open for your submissions tonight at 7.00 PM (CET) and will remain open until May 14th at noon. I will try to post our next episode, Raven, later on today for now ... just have fun!


2 comments:

  1. Really powerful post. Your Jisei haiku is humbling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not ready to write a death haiku.. but sacrifice can be seen in so many ways..

    ReplyDelete