Thursday, August 1, 2013

Carpe Diem #261, Dervish Dream



Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

What a surprise! I thought this month will be a difficult one, because of the use of only music videos by Karunesh, but what a joy to read all of your wonderful haiku written for our first prompt of August. I hope that this month will bring a lot of wonderful haiku inspired on the music by Karunesh. I am looking forward to all of your wondeful posts.

Today we share haiku inspired on the musical video Dervish Dream, another track from the latest album by Karunesh "Color of the East". Dervishes are muslim and maybe you know the Sufi Whirling dance.




The whirling dance or Sufi whirling that is proverbially associated with Dervishes is best known in the West by the practices (performances) of the Mevlevi order in Turkey, and is part of a formal ceremony known as the Sema. It is, however, also practiced by other orders. The Sema is only one of the many Sufi ceremonies performed to try to reach religious ecstasy (majdhb, fana). The name Mevlevi comes from the Persian poet, Rumi who was a Dervish himself. This practice, though not intended as entertainment, has become a tourist attraction in Turkey.

There are various orders of Dervishes, almost all of which trace their origins from various Muslim saints and teachers, especially Imam Ali. Various orders and suborders have appeared and disappeared over the centuries. Dervishes spread into North Africa, Turkey, the Balkans, the Caucasus, Iran, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan and Tajikistan.

Other groups include the Bektashis, connected to the janissaries, and Senussi, who are rather orthodox in their beliefs. Other fraternities and subgroups chant verses of the Qur'an, play drums or whirl in groups, all according to their specific traditions. They practice meditation, as is the case with most of the Sufi orders in South Asia, many of whom owe allegiance to, or were influenced by, the Chishti order. Each fraternity uses its own garb and methods of acceptance and initiation, some of which may be rather severe.

Enough about this Dervishes. Let's go listen to the wonderful music by Karunesh:





I couldn't find a music video in which dance or whirling was used, so I have chosen for this video because of the relaxation feeling. (This video is made by Christy Andreii )


dervishes whirling
seeking a higher consciousness -
third eye opens


This haiku was what first came in mind as I listened to this music. I saw the Dervishes Whirling and felt how they became enlightend through their dance. A higher state of consciousness through dance ... what a joy. I once was part of a group for Sacred Dance and this Dervish Dream brought that wonderful feeling back.

This prompt will stay on 'till August 3rd 11.59 AM (CET) and I will post our next episode, Moon in the water, later on today around 8.00 PM (CET). Have fun, be inspired by the music, go with the flow, be one with the music and share your inspired haiku with our Carpe Diem community. !! Dervish Dream is open for submissions at 8.00 PM (CET) !!




6 comments:

  1. I mail every episode in which I use a music piece by Karunesh also to him and his Oreade label.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, the link is messed up. I can't link at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your haiku today a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your haiku, Kristjaan. My brain was already rumbling with the true reason for the swirling and then your haiku. Now I have to say the same thing an entirely different way. So inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your haiku, and the music. It is an inspiring way to write. I must apologize for using your blog photo instead of the whirling dervish one. I saw your photo as more of an abstract depiction of the whirling movements. Hope that was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your haiku...perfection.
    And the music is very inspiring for me.
    Thank you...
    Peace,
    Siggi

    ReplyDelete